LITTLE DROPS OF WATER



Image result for wooden money box
Susu Box

Growing up, I had a 'susu box', a rectangular wooden box well nailed, with a small slit as a drop-in for monies at the top. This was to save up little coins from leftover pocket monies, or earned from errands; monies received as gifts from relatives and family friends, most especially when you have been a good child.
If you were diligent, you could get quite a fortune (in the eyes of a kid), or close to that.
Savings could be within a month, or the period of the school's term, or even beyond..... till birthday or Xmas mostly.
From this bank, I lent to friends and family at a cost… monetary or material or both if I was lucky. 
Now as adults, many of us have forgotten that good saving habit. How many of us still piggy bank? How many of us structure our finance such that we do not ‘chop chop’ all we have earned.
Unfortunately most of us exhaust our earnings even before our accounts are credited. With the best of cars, home improvement and personal/family image enhancement tugging our finances, there is little or none left for the future.
I do not frown on such pretty things, however should that source of income unfortunately cease, how sustained are you going to be until you find a new source of income???  How much are you going to earn from your acquired assets if you decide to sell them off?
I still practice piggy banking. 
I usually do not spend my coins. I just drop them into the pocket of any bag I’m carrying. At the end of the day, whatever coins I have is dropped into the bank.



After accruing a lot of coins, I change them to purchase something for myself, or give to someone as a gift, instead of taking from what I earn. Should I get any monetary gift, I hardly spend on the sweet things my teeth enjoy.  I add to my savings or purchase something I really need, especially, for my kitchen mostly or as a loan with payback expectations.
Adult life comes with increased financial burden and fewer monetary gifts.  Apart from what we earn from work, some of us get no other monetary benefit.  It’s just the salary or wage.... and that is all.

I GREW up really understanding the statement, little drops of water makes an ocean…
Do not under-value those coins you get as change.... keep keeping them and it could save a situation.  


Comments

Popular Posts